My brand new discover card arrived in the mail today....yay!!!!! I am now on my way to further establishing good credit history. I think it's ironic that today, before hitting the gym, I take a trip to Barnes and Noble to pick up Kelly Rowland's Ab bible (supposedly she references this before she eats anything tempting and points to this as the source of her fabulous abs), the Abs Diet For Women. I pick up the new Allure, Muscle Fitness for Women, and Harper's Bazaar and make my way upstairs in the direction of the cafe. For some odd reason, I found myself standing in line ordering a double chocolate cupcake. I sat down and devoured the poor thing (almost bitting my finger off in the process). I ate the cupcake so fast that I didn't even remember eating it!!!! I immediately felt guilty (not to mention stagnant), but what cheered me up was reading Collier Strong's comments on perfecting skin for skincare ads (hey, you are going to have to go read the article...not what this post is about). So then, after calling the bf to let him know of my betrayal, he said, "hey somtimes you have to give yourself credit. You had a hard work out." Genius and ironic that the moment after we arrived home from the gym my discover card was in the mailbox waiting for me to unwrap it!!! It's so cute and pink, with my first initial on it!!
Ok, okay, okay....Since I have been getting so many good responses, I decided to have 2 winners. One winner will win the Lilac Shimmer wash eyeshadow and Desert Rose Blush. The other will win Gold Shimmer wash Eyeshadow and Sand Pink Blush. The first place winner will get the opportunity to chose which duo they would like, and the 2nd runner up receives what's left.
This is a great opportunity for you to try out the shade selection that the line offers. Bobbi will be coming out with new Metallic Eyeshadow colors in the fall with a new formulation, so don't be surprised at the texture of the new ones compared to the old ones.
So the Vintage Bobbi Giveaway will continue until July 1st. Winner will be announced on July 3rd. Remember all responses must be sent to my email (email@example.com) in order to be considered. If you leave it in the comments area it will NOT be considered.
Make the decision hard!! i want the decision to be so hard that I feel the need to have two first place winners!!! Feel free to send in photos, etc. I am a visual person.
I have been on a healthy diet tip for the past 3 weeks now, recording every single thing I eat, the caloric amount, along with intense workouts 5 days a week (give or take a day..lol). The Gold's Gym Women's Locker room has literally become like my second bathroom. Now, when I purchase any product, I have to purchase an extra set for the gym bag. I go in around 8am, workout for an hour (sometimes hour and a half) and head to the locker room. Now, don't get me wrong, I HATE working out. I love the new diet, because I don't feel so blah anymore.
So what's the favorite part of my day, you ask?? I love peeling my layers of workout clothing off (honey, there are LOTS layers to pull off...lots is needed to nip, tuck, and hold down) and heading to the shower. I carry my Olay Ribbons Body Wash,Burt's Bee's Honey and Shea Butter Body Butter, and Vaseline Cocoa Butter Smoothing Body Butter. The warm water relaxes my muscles, and after I apply my butters(while still wet). First the Burt's Bee's then the Vaseline Cocoa Butter on top (then I go back over the cocoa butter with the honey and shea butter....what can i say, I love the smell of this...light and sweet). I put my makeup on and get ready to start my day. I feel good, I look good, and then I do a final look in the mirror and I am quickly reminded why I put myself through an hour (sometimes hour and a half) of torture: I look good!!!!
My absolute favorite part is massaging the body butter into my skin. The smell and the texture is just so invigorating!!! It's almost like a mini visit to the spa every morning!!! I love the look on the guy at the front desk who says "hello" and "goodbye" to me when I leave. I come in looking comfy and leave looking chicly casual (and pretty!!). The look on his face just confirms what I already know, but the look is reassuring and is that last bit of unnecessary confidence that starts my day.
Back when I was a lonely college student (well, still am but I am progressing), I used to look forward to Friday Nights to do my weekly beauty maintenance routine of deep conditioning my hair, giving myself a pedicure (go to a nail salon with the annoying lady talking to you the whole time you are trying to relax got on my last nerve), shaving my legs, and catching up on my magazine reading. My friends used to laugh at me, because instead of going out I had my "self-maintenance night," Maybe they laughed because I named the day.....
Well, it's Friday night and I decided to revive the beauty ritual. I am feeling awfully lazy, because of the workouts, but I can't bear to look at my feet in their current condition any longer(poor boyfriend...lol). So even though I have an 8AM appointment with Gold's tomorrow, I have to do something about these feet. Plus, I am too excited to see them after I apply the polish!!
It's late and I am going through all of my makeup (an abyss of never ending liners, lipsticks, grease paints, etc). So in order to create space for palettes that I just ordered, I am hosting a contest with 1 Bobbi Brown Originally packaged eyeshadow and 1 Blush Shade (I am throwing in a travel sized mascara as well). The shades are Lilac (a lavender with shimmer) and Desert Rose Blush (a muted pink). Both of these shades are great for any skintone. Don't worry they aren't used!!
So...Here is the question: What celebrity inspires you with their makeup and why ?
The contest will end on July 1st at 5:00PM Eastern Standard Time. All responses must be emailed to me at firstname.lastname@example.org If I know you, you are not eligible to participate!!
Tired of spending money on fancy scrubs?? Well, I have a solution for you: sugar!!! I happened to do this when I ran out of Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains a couple of months ago, and I have been adding this to my cleanser every since.
All you do is buy a pack of sugar. Just the regular sugar that you use to sweeten tea or coffee with-not the sugar in the raw. The size of the sugar particles are a little to large. Add the sugar to your cleanser or apply your cleanser and then take the sugar and apply on top (this is what I do). If you add the sugar directly to your cleanser, make sure that you add enough so that the cleanser doesn't become a uniform mixture. Exfoliate as usual. Rinse with warm water and bam!!! Your skin should feel smooth and hydrated!!!
Lately with the weather being toasty, I have switched from moisturizer to serums. Serums have the hydrating properties of a moisturizer with a lighter feel. Plus, they don't give you as much of a "greasy" look as some moisturizers can while you wait for them to sink in. The right serum can be like light a vitamin taken with a tall glass of water for your skin. Here are my favorites:
1. Chanel Hydramax + Active Serum - It's Chanel!!! Creator of all things pretty!!! I ALWAYS put this on right before my foundation. After I apply it, my skin feels like it has been sprayed with a light refreshing mist of water. It feels supple, hydrated and ready for makeup application. There is a moisture boosting complex that apparently helps skin to retain moisture. For those of you with drier skin, try the cream. It's lovely!!!
2. Bees Naturally Ageless Intensive Repairing Serum- I have only been using this for a week, but we have already forged a strong bond. I wear this on my "no make up days" or right after I wash my face at the gym. This contains Evening Primrose Oil (an ingredient that is found in a couple of Bobbi Brown products), Borage, and Pomegranate. All these ingredients help to fight aging...or atleast to keep you a little bit more preserved. I have recently been using alot of this line. Most of the products are 99% natural. This serum kicks butt to be $25.
Yep, only two. From the products that I have tried (not that many serums as of yet), I really like these.
Yep, It's still hot here in DC. Today was a beautiful day...actually all this week was lovely (hot...but bearable). With the weather being a HOTT, I decided to give you a run down of products that I am loving right now:
1.Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm- The smell of this alone keeps me reapplying it!! The texture is light and lovely. It leaves just a soft glisten on the lips with alot of moisture. Plus it's 99% natural!! This is great right before I hit the gym.
2.Bobbi Brown Lip Balm- Ok, I know that you are thinking 2 lipbalms, but I sleep with this one on at night. I know it's excessive, but it's my lips. LOL. I love this for night. I like it so much even the boyfriend wanted to try it, so now we both sleep with it on at night (he wears his in the day too...lol).
3. Burt's Bees Naturally Ageless Intensive Repairing Serum- I read about this in a magazine earlier this week and decided to pick it up. It is formulated like a light oil. I prefer to do serums in the summer 'cause it's just so hot to do normal moisturizer. I put this on after I wash my face at the gym. The smell is awesome!! It is formulated with Pomegranate and Evening Primrose oils (there are actually alot of other oils in here as well), which helps to keep my skin youthful and glowing!! I went out for crabs with some friends on Friday and everyone was asking me what I was using on my skin. I even had a little breakout on the forehead, but I guess the glow was a distraction. Plus, its only 25 bucks, which is relatively cheap for a serum.
4. Brown Creamy Lipcolor in Rose Petal and Italian Rose- What can I say.....I love Bobbi!!! I love the texture of these lipsticks. They feel like a lipbalm going on, but they have sheer color payoff. This is a great formulation to try colors that you wouldn't normally wear like pinks and corals. Rose Petal like a natural pink on me. Italian Rose makes me look a little more refined. They both offer a sheer wash of color with excellent texture. I actually love all the colors, but I find myself wearing these two most often.
5. Vaseline Cocoa Butter Smoothing Body Butter- I get excited to take a shower, because I know I will be applying this shortly afterward!!! I love it. When I buy it, I have to purchase like 3 at a time!!. That's how fast I run through these things...plus, I keep one at the house, one for the gym bag, and one for the boyfriend's gym bag (he love it too....he's slowly turning into a metro). I love the glisten and the slip that it leaves on my skin.
6. OPI MOD Nail Lacquers in Greenwich Village(green), "It"(neon yellow), and That's Hot Pink- I love bright nail polish!! I only wear bright colors on my toes, but it looks so cute and summery when I wear open toed shoes. There's nothing better than sporting a cute pair of pumps with neon colored nail polish.
It is hot and humid here in DC. Yes, the heat wave is coming to a close but it is still too hot for a full face of foundation.
If I see another woman on the street with a butt load of foundation on, I will have to give her a ticket!!!
I know we all don't have perfect, model-like skin but a full face of foundation?!?!? Is it that bad?? I have seen women on the street with foundation literally blended down onto their necks. Why??
It is important to remember that while all these cosmetic lines have such great visuals out for the summer, these ads are done in a studio. Everything from the temperature is controlled. I know we all wanna look cute with layers upon layers of eyeshadow and falsies, but please save yourself the trouble of looking....well, silly with sweat pouring down your face. Save those things for the afternoon when the sun has given us a break. Seeing a women with a full face of foundation and sweaty is the equivalent of a girl walking down the street in some bad ass pumps with a bad ass walk (the my feet hurt walk).
The only thing I have been wearing in this weather is concealer and that is kept to a minimum. I would also encourage everyone to try Origins gel cheek stain(i love the coralberry and raspberry shade) and Tarte cheek Stain (Try Bronze Goddess and Blushing Bride). I love these. They smell delicious and are perfect for summer weather for those whose skin can be a bit oily. Of course, I am doing the mascara (water proof, bronze liner (daytime), and moisturizing lipstick (gloss is cool for night...but walking around with a sweaty face and gloss lips is like...ummm....no). We have probably been hearing the tinted moisturizer spill all month, but that helps too. I haven't even been doing tinted moisturizer.
2. Since I have a little hyperpigmented area in the inner corner of my eyes, I have to correct before I apply concealer. Now, I am all about the high end product, but lately I have been trying drug store in an effort to shine light on these products that cater to the African American consumer. So I correct/neutralize that area with Black Radiance Concealer Stick in 8003. Then I apply Black Opal Flawless Perfecting Concealer in Bronze 05 on top and gently tap in with the pads of my finger. (products found in CVS or Target).
7. For me in the summer it is all about effortless looking beauty so I opt to do a nice chocolate shimmer on the eye with an Espresso gel liner. All by Bobbi of course.
8. I have been wearing Clinique Lash Doubling Mascara
9. I finish off my Body with NARS BODY Glow all over and then I spray a little Escada Sunset Heat (i love fruity scents...this came out last year...Escada always comes out with a new scent for summer).
**Notice, I don't wear foundation in the summer. Nothing feels worse or looks worse than a sweaty face full of foundation. I just correct what needs to be corrected and leave it at that. When you add foundation to places that don't need it, you run the risk of looking artificial. Summer is all about looking like you woke up gorgeous, not like you had to paint it on.
This was the total highlight of my life!! I got to sit in on all the new products that will be coming out for Fall 08 and Spring 09. Let me just say that the line is going in a new direction. I LOVE IT!!! Of course, I have been sworn to secrecy about the specifics, but she is moving in a more colorful direction.
Okay, so Bobbi is like 5'0" and beautiful!! She has this simple elegance about her that puts you at ease. I was expecting her to be surrounded by papparazzi with aviators on....but nope, just her. She was very open to new ideas and suggestions on how to improve the line. Artist were even bringing her products from other lines just to show her how they would like a particular product to be formulated or packaged. I thought that really showed how humble and open she is. I took a picture with her, but I haven't gotten it back yet, so I will post later (don't hold me to it!).
By the way, she was so smitten with me, she asked me to be a model on QVC!!! Toot!! Toot!!!!!!!